Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mid-night Mishaps + upcoming pattern preview

You ever start sewing late at night and you just cant stop? You think to yourself, "Just let me finish the cuffs; just let me sew the hem real fast". Hahaha! The truth is every "real fast" statements often require an hour to three to complete (at least for me it seems that way). LOL. Why do we do this to ourselves? Sewing is an addiction, and it is a long road to recovery. Does anyone have the number for Sewing Addicts Anonymous?

Well I am no saint when it involves sewing. Just last week I started working on a new shirt pattern. Sewing it together was the easy part...or so I thought. I had only planned on getting it started, next thing I know it is four in the morning and I haven't slept yet, Oh my! But I pretty much finished the shirt. Let's just say it is less than perfect.


I am loving this new pattern I am working on. For now I am geekily calling it The Triforce Tee. Nerds unite! (You may be the only ones who will appreciate the name, so I am likely going to change it. Sorry!). I thought about ripping my stitches and fixing all my mistakes, but I just couldn't wait any longer to show it to you all.


Keilana hasn't been feeling well - you can see it in her eyes. I was just taking pictures of the shirt on a hanger so that she could rest, but she wasn't having any of that! "I want to put it on!... Can I wear it the rest of the day?!" I love this girl. I hope she never stops loving mama made clothes.


The most striking feature of this pattern is the triangular center; thus the name "Triforce" Tee. It is the perfect spot for some color-blocking. 


Something you may not have noticed, though, is that there are no side seams. "Say what?!"
The back panels wrap around to the front and connect to the triangle. It makes this A-line shirt nice and flowy.


 The back has a center seam. Ooooh, even more opportunities for color-blocking!

I am a little amazed that I was able to align my stripes given the other mistakes I made. The first, and the WORST, was cutting my neckband too narrow. I had to fold the neckband down far enough to cover my serger stitches, and in doing so the underside of the shirt was pulled into vision. You can see part of the damage it caused right up there ^^^ where the back center seam meets the neckband. Ugh!


Another, more subtle detail of the pattern is the shoulder gathers; a little girly touch. Also of note is how the back wraps over the shoulder just past center creating almost a faux yoke look.


This is also where you can see how damaging it was to cut the neckband too narrow - Eeeeks!
Now let me explain the two lines of stitching on the neckband. Well... I couldn't get my straight stitch close enough to the edge to hide all the serger stitches underneath. So I just sewed a wavy stitch over the top to tack the edges down. Problem solved!


Oh, another outrageous mistake I made was when I sewed the bottom trim on. I don't even know how I managed to do it, but the front center of the trim is almost non-visible. Perhaps it moved on me as I was sewing it down, but still. And, it was sewn on with my serger, which means the edge was cut off... So if I am going to fix it I would have to take the entire band off and cut a new piece. Geez! What was I doing?!


It was actually kind of fun making fun of myself. 
Nobody is perfect. We learn from our mistakes. In fact, I have come to love many of life's imperfections. There is beauty in the chaos.

I hope you like The Triforce Tee. I am fine tuning some of the small details and then I will be grading it out and putting the tutorial together. I am really excited about this one; there are so many fun things you can do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment